Chef Christian’s Southern Drop Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 8 min
- Total Time:
- 18 min
- 400g White Lily Self Rising Flour
- 35g Sugar
- ¾ Tsp Salt
- 75g Lard
- 160g Frozen Shredded Butter
- 1 cup Cold buttermilk
- Medium mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula
- 1 ½ oz ice cream scoop
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Preheat convection oven to 405 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don’t have a convection oven, preheat the oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine White Lily Self Rising Flour, sugar, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add lard and using your fingers, work lard into dry ingredients until small pebbles of lard and flour form.
- For the butter, I recommend freezing 1lb of butter the night before. Using a box shredder, shredding attachment on a food processer, or even a vitamix style blender, shred butter while frozen then weigh out 160g. Place shredded butter in a bowl back in the freezer until you are ready to use.
- Once ready to use, lightly toss shredded butter in with lard and flour mixture. Using your hands or a silicone spatula, quickly work butter in to mix.
- Pour cold buttermilk into the bowl and mix until all ingredients are combined and there are no stray crumbs.
- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet. Using the ice cream scoop, portion out drop biscuits. Make sure to gently pack the scoop so each biscuit is the same size. Evenly distribute drop biscuits on cookie sheet as if you are making cookies.
- Place in oven for 8 minutes or until the outside is golden brown (approximately 12 minutes in a conventional oven).
- Remove from the oven, let cool 5 minutes. Serve hot, cold, or however you like. Just eat em!
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Fill cake pans only half full of batter to avoid overflow in the oven during baking.
Shiny metal pans reflect heat, and make tender cakes with a light brown crust. If you have dark pans, reduce oven temperature by 25°F.